The Family Advocate provides direct, holistic family services to ensure adherence to the licensing and Head Start Program Performance Standards for all children and families, including monitoring eligibility and enrollment, maintaining the data management system for medical, dental, disabilities, resources and referrals, and family engagement through a relationship-building and case management approach.
JOB FUNCTIONS: (include but not limited to the following)
- Provides resources and referrals for families in monitoring and completion of family goals developed in the beginning of the program year;
- Participates in the scheduling and individualizing of multidisciplinary meetings with parents and address concerns such as disabilities, safety and/or social emotional needs, or others as needed;
- Maintain and update health schedules and records health information in individual student health records;
- Follow-up on health care referrals by health care providers and assist families in accessing needed services.
- Maintain site lists of significant health conditions and children receiving medication.
- Attends children’s Individualized Education Plan (IEP) evaluations through the LEA and/or Individualized Family Support Plan (IFSP) evaluations through Early Intervention, supporting parents in advocating for their needs throughout the special education process;
- Assists parents in obtaining a copy of their child’s IEP and/or IFSP, registering their child for special education services at the assigned Chicago Public School, and obtaining transportation services, if applicable;
- Participates in annual recruitment plan and participate in recruitment events
- Maintains and updates data management systems to ensure accurate and up-to-date family services information;
- Enhances parent-child relationship and supports parents’ role as the first and lifelong educators of their children;
- Acts as a member of a comprehensive services team so that family service activities are coordinated and integrated throughout the program;
- Participates actively in opportunities for continuous professional development;
- Develops and implements individualized Family Partnership Agreements, such as family assessments, goals, referrals, family case notes, home visits, case histories, and emergency contact information;
- Supports families who are in crisis or need support as part of multidisciplinary team;
- Bi-weekly monitoring of Performance Indicator Report and any other reports required for appropriate monitoring and tracking of family services;
- Participates in transition planning for all children and families between program models and into Kindergarten, including children with special needs;
- Participates in family engagement activities throughout the program year with as part of a multidisciplinary team.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
- Associate’s degree in human services, family services, social services and/or family services credential required;
- Bachelors’ degree in human services, family services, social services and/or family services credential preferred;
- A minimum of one year of job-related experience;
- Current, valid Illinois driver’s license and proof of insurance may be required;
- Reliable means of transportation may be required;
- Successful completion of First Aid/CPR certification required;
- Proof of physical examination, tuberculosis and measles, mumps and rubella (MMR) screening within the last six months required;
- Fluent verbal and written English and Spanish communication preferred.
- 1951 W 19th Street, Chicago, IL 60608
- 2434 S Kildare Ave, Chicago, IL 60623
- 3050 E 92nd Street, Chicago, IL 60617
- 5310 W 24th Place, Cicero, IL 60804
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Sick leave
- Paid holidays
- Employee assistance program
- 401k with employer matching
- Company-paid basic life insurance and AD&D coverage
- Company-paid short term disability coverage
- Tuition Reimbursement
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday (some weekends and evenings may apply as needed for recruitment events)
To apply please submit resume and cover letter to email@example.com regarding interest in this open position.