Under the general direction of the Human Resources Manager, the HR Generalist is responsible for supporting the HR Department maintain and implement various functions including, but not limited to: recruitment and onboarding process, employee safety program, worker’s compensation management, employee relations, and training and development. Additional responsibilities include supporting with various other administrative tasks in the HR Department.
JOB FUNCTIONS: (include but are not limited to the following)
- Assist with conducting pre-employment screenings, including background checks and coordinating of interviews in accordance with specific program requirements.
- Coordinate with hiring personnel to prepare new hire packets, as defined by agency program requirements, coordinate the organization’s onboarding process and conduct new hire orientation on a bi-weekly basis.
- Regularly review orientation program to ensure effectiveness, making recommendations for improvements as needed, and updating new hire orientation schedule as needed based on program needs.
- Screen resumes for minimum requirements and qualifications before referring to hiring personnel and maintain reports to track applicant data and application status.
- Participate in the safety committee meetings and coordinate appropriate program activities and events as they relate to safety.
- Responsible for compliance with federal, state, and local employment laws and regulations, and recommended best practices.
- Assist with the management of family and medical leaves of absences under the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA), the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and state laws as needed.
- Assist with employee exit interviews, track results, and communicate issues to the management team for corrective action and continuous improvement as needed.
- Ensure timely implementation of employee benefits including, but not limited to, enrollments, terminations, bill reconciliations, data entry and COBRA administration; ensure employees have timely access to benefit information.
- Utilizes HRIS ensuring that data is consistently accurate and current, including making prompt employment changes and updates such as promotions, transfers and deactivations.
- Maintain workers compensation documentation, report claims, and injury report tracking log.
- Conduct routine file audits to ensure compliance with federal and state regulations and program requirements.
- Conduct internal investigations of employee relations issues, complaints, and conflicts and provide appropriate documentation, follow-up and guidance to supervisors and employees.
- Provide advice and guidance to managers and supervisors on disciplinary issues, assist with corrective action process and help facilitate disciplinary and termination meetings.
- Address manager and employee inquiries regarding standard policies, benefits, compensation, hiring processes, employment verifications, etc.; refer more complex inquiries to senior-level HR staff or management.
- Process documentation and prepare reports relating to personnel activities such as staffing, recruitment, training, grievances, performance evaluations, HR metrics (headcounts, turnover, etc.) and other routine reports, as needed.
- Assist in the development of organizational policies and procedures to ensure business practices comply with federal, state and local legal requirements and government reporting regulations.
- Assist with the maintenance and organization of personnel, training and other miscellaneous HR department files to ensure compliance with applicable program and legal requirements.
- Support with the assembly of special events sponsored by the department such as employee recognition announcements, open enrollment, agency-wide meetings, holiday parties and wellness program activities, etc.
- Handles sensitive information regarding employee, visitor, participant and organizational matters with professionalism and confidentiality.
- Represent agency at various community job fairs and recruitment events.
- Prepare reports relating to personnel activities such as staffing, recruitment, training, grievances, performance evaluations, HR metrics (headcounts, turnover, etc.) and other routine reports, as needed.
- Reports hazardous conditions, damaged equipment and supply issues to supervisor or appropriate personnel.
- Works in an organized fashion and keeps front desk area and workstation clean and free of hazards.
- Attend and participate in departmental meetings and in-services as directed.
- Assist reception desk with coverage as needed including but not limited to answering incoming calls and directing to appropriate party, greeting and directing visitors to desired destination, mail distribution, etc.
- Other relevant job duties as required.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS:
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related field from an accredited college or university preferred.
- Minimum of two to three years of job-related experience preferred.
- Fluent verbal and written English and Spanish communication preferred;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, project & time management skills;
- Current, valid Illinois driver’s license and proof of insurance required;
- Reliable means of transportation required.
- 1924 W 21st Street, Chicago, IL 60608 – Flexibility to travel to satellite locations required.
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Vacation time and sick leave
- Paid holidays
- Employee assistance program
- 401k with employer matching
- Company-paid basic life insurance and AD&D coverage
- Company-paid short term disability coverage
- Flexible schedule
- Tuition Reimbursement
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday (some weekends and OT may apply as needed)
- Remote work days available
To apply please submit resume and cover letter to email@example.com regarding interest in this open position.